The Office of Science and Technology Policy Blog has a posting requesting public input on access to publicly funded research results.
There are three periods for comment:
- Implementation (Dec. 10 to 20, 2009):
- Which Federal agencies are good candidates to adopt Public Access policies? What variables (field of science, proportion of research funded by public or private entities, etc.) should affect how public access is implemented at various agencies, including the maximum length of time between publication and public release?
- Features and Technology (Dec. 21 to Dec 31, 2009):
- In what format should the data be submitted in order to make it easy to search and retrieve information, and to make it easy for others to link to it? Are there existing digital standards for archiving and interoperability to maximize public benefit? How are these anticipated to change.
- Management (Jan. 1 to Jan. 7, 2010):
- What are the best mechanisms to ensure compliance? What would be the best metrics of success? What are the best examples of usability in the private sector (both domestic and international)? Should those who access papers be given the opportunity to comment or provide feedback?