At the American Geophysical Union, there will be a townhall meeting on Thursday. From the handout circulating:
Townhall Meeting Peer-Reviewed Data Publication and Other Strategies to Sustain Verifiable Science
Objective, verifiable science requires formal, reviewed publication of both data and research results. Data publication facilitates essential scientific processes including transparency, reproducibility, documentation of uncertainty, and preservation. The AGU Council reaffirmed this fundamental responsibility in a revised position statement. (Position statement available at xhttp://www.agu.org/outreach/science_policy/positions/geodata.shtml.) Nonetheless, data publication lacks established cultural practices and quality standards for …Read more >
The Office of Science and Technology Policy Blog has a posting requesting public input on access to publicly funded research results.
There are three periods for comment:
- Implementation (Dec. 10 to 20, 2009):
- Which Federal agencies are good candidates to adopt Public Access policies? What variables (field of science, proportion of research funded by public or private entities, etc.) should affect how public access is implemented at various agencies, including the maximum length of time between publication and public release?
- Features and Technology (Dec. 21 to Dec 31, 2009):
- In what format should the data be submitted in order to make it easy to search and retrieve information, and to make it easy for others to link to it? Are there existing d…
From the 9 Dec 2009 LibraryJournal : 
- Springer Science+Business Media has announced the launch of SpringerMaterials – The Landolt-Börnstein Database (www.springermaterials.com). It is the world’s largest content platform of physical sciences and engineering data, containing 91,000 online documents, 165,000 substances and materials systems, 3,000 properties and more than one million literature references. Scientists can easily access data on material parameters for their research and rely on critically evaluated information. International experts scan the primary literature in more than 8,000 peer-reviewed journals, and evaluate and select the most valid information to be included in the database. SpringerMaterials is available as a subs…